Crispy Keto Eggplant Fries & Smoky Dipping Sauce
One of the hardest things to give up when eating low carb is fries, or so I've heard. I've never been a huge potato fan, so that wasn't my particular struggle. Luckily for you fry lovers out there, LOTS of other vegetables can be turned into fries, from parsnips to avocado to my friend, the eggplant.
If the only way you've ever tried eggplant is parmesan, give these eggplant fries a chance. While the texture of eggplant parm is kind of meaty and hearty, the eggplant in these fries takes on a totally different note and gets crispy on the outside (thanks to an almond meal coating) and almost creamy on the inside. It's truly delicious! As a bonus, try them with the accompanying simple smoky dipping sauce.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese OR 1 tbsp nutritional yeast if avoiding dairy
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Baking sheet
- Silicone mat or parchment paper for quick clean up (optional)
- Cooling rack for even cooking (optional)
- 2 shallow dishes, for coating the eggplant
- Preheat oven to 450. Line baking sheet with parchment paper/mat and place cooling rack in pan, if using.
- Cut eggplant into steak fry-sized slices and set aside.
- Whisk together egg and olive oil in one shallow dish, set aside.
- In other dish, combine almond meal, seasonings, and cheese (if using) until well-mixed.
- Begin an assembly line: dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, then coat with almond meal mixture. Hint: put a few of the egg-coated fries in almond meal dish together and shake the dish like you were panning for gold. This helps thinly and evenly coat the fries without getting your hands all gooey.
- Arrange fries in the pan in a single layer, not touching.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning over once halfway through to ensure even browning.
- Remove from oven and let cool before enjoying.
Smoky Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- up to 1 tbsp (3 tsp) water
- Mix first three ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add water, 1 tsp at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Some will like a thicker sauce, while some prefer it thinned out.
- Dip your eggplant fries and enjoy!